Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Busy, busy, busy

I can't believe it's been so long since I updated my blog but I've been so busy. The last couple of weeks seem to have been filled with running and decorating and little else!

This is my first attempt at crocheting with plastic carrier bags. I've used double crochet and some trebles and it's quite fun to work with. It reminds me of a fibre my mum used to use to make herself a summer bag but I can't remember what it was called. I've got quite a few balls now so will hopefully progress quite quickly. I started by using a really big hook but the stitches were too open so I've switched to a 4.5mm hook which gives a nice, close weave.



My gloves haven't progressed at all as I need to concentrate when doing them and I've been too tired at the end of each day. Next week I should be able to get on with them again. This little swatch is from an intarsia/fairisle workshop I attended at Kangaroo, near Lewes. It was very useful as I saw first hand how to do the 2-handed fairisle method which I hadn't quite mastered before. You can see my technique improve if you compare the bottom row of hearts (done at the workshop and very loose) with the top row where my tension is much more even.



I've also just purchased some yarn for a quickie project that I spotted in a previous issue of Simply Knitting magazine. The yarn is made from bamboo fibres and is a gorgeous hot orange multi. Excellent for layering over a summer vest and should knit up in no time as it's a simple stitch.

No comments: