Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Time travelling



Earlier in the year Mike and I walked through the woods and I took this snap of the bluebells.

I think it was around the middle of May.

Last week we walked the same route and I managed to get the same shot and it's really interesting to see how it's changed.

I must make a mental note to take the same shot in Autumn and then in mid-winter and then compare them all.





The next photo is of a plant that has become really invasive in many of our waterways - Impatiens glandulifera aka Himalayan Balsam.

It has the most amazing mechanism for spreading its seed around. There is a coiled spring-like growth within the seedpod which throws the seed far and wide.

You have to admire a plant like that even though it's a complete thug! I think it looks lovely and it is loved by bees and other insects but the problem is that it shades out our beautiful native waterside plants such as marsh marigolds.

Also, it has a very pungent smell which I dislike intensely.

No comments: