Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Holey voley!

Sunday's run was tough and those hills hadn't got any smaller but the good news is that I ran the whole 20 miles in 4 hours, just like last week. I was very pleased as the only other time I've done this route I was so tired that I had to walk the last 2 miles and arrived home teary and downtrodden in 4.5 hours!

Yesterday I did a good session of pyramid intervals @ 8:21 minute miling (pyramid intervals are so called because you increase the distance of each interval and then decrease back down to the starting distance; eg I ran intervals of .3, .4, .5, .6, .5 .4, .3 miles with 1.5 minute slower recoveries inbetween ) and was very pleased with the way my legs responded after such a tough run on Sunday.

Just look at this sweet little vole.

We were just pottering around in the front garden when Mike spotted her sitting right in front of him.

She was so busy eating that she paid no attention to us which suggested that she was probably looking for food for her family.

It always feels like an honour when a wild creature allows us to have an insight into their world.

Mike's niece Emma is taking ballet lessons and she needs a tutu for the summer show. As Sharon, my sister-in-law, doesn't sew she asked if I'd make it for her.

I haven't done much sewing for a while, except for making household things such as curtains and cushions, so it will be an interesting challenge.

I'm not looking forward to that froth of net!

I've crocheted more flowers and think I've got enough now. I quite like this arrangement but need to think about how I join them.

I spent ages last night experimenting with leaves but couldn't get just what I wanted using any of the patterns I have so I'll have to make up my own.

I like the idea of sinuous stems winding across the cushion as I think it needs some splashes of green to liven up the reds.

As for the background I'm thinking about a sort of freeform approach of just following the shapes. I might join the flower motifs where they touch or overlap and then work as one would with tesserae in mosaics using the technique known as 'Opus Vermiculatum' where you form an outline around a shape.

1 comment:

Shan said...

Oh I love that cushion so, so much! Also the vole is wonderful...so fat and cute!