Saturday, October 13, 2012

Dark days but a glimmer of hope from DeNDRoN

Dark Days


As the days grow ever shorter I am always reminded of this poem by Robert Louis Stevenson from 'A child's garden of verses':

Bed in Summer

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play.
To have to go to bed by day?



In summer I'm awake before the lark and raring to go and yet as the dark days draw in I have to drag myself out of bed.  I sometimes think that hibernating is a sensible option.

I have done very little knitting or crochet this week because the cold damp weather coupled with playing around with clay at ceramics class has aggravated the arthritis in my left thumb.  Boo to getting old and decrepit.  I have however managed to weave a lot more of my crochet blankie as I haven't been able to get out in the garden because of the rain.

Thankfully, running has been OK and now I'm tapering (cutting down my mileage) ahead of the Beachy Head marathon 2 weeks today.  It's going to be tough going on the South Downs after all this rain!

A glimmer of hope

This week I attended a meeting organised by DeNDRoN (Dementias and Neurodegenerative Diseases Research Network - that rolls off the tongue doesn't it?!).  I was very excited as this meeting was to take forward an idea that was originally mooted at the Government Dementia Research Summit that I attended in July 2009 - to set up an on-line Research Register by which people with dementia and their carers will be able to volunteer to take part in clinical trials and other research studies.

I've attended so many conferences/presentations etc where much is promised and then nothing delivered that it really gave me a lift to think that something good is actually going to happen at last.


How fab is that!


No comments: