Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year!



Happy New Year to one and all. I wish you health and happiness for 2014 and may your troubles be few.

So here we are at the start of another year.

The weather has been vile all night and when I woke up this morning I felt like staying in bed. Anyway, I couldn't as there were animals to tend and so I donned my wet weather gear and squelched into the fields.

I decided to take a couple of Helfies to celebrate - that's half horse, half me photos!

Esther just rolled her eyes as if to say "what on earth's she up to now….?"
Kizzy, on the other hand, refused to oblige and was very grumpy about it (largely because she was trying to eat her brekkie!)
I have now started the first part of my 2014 challenge - too run at least 5k every day for 5 months.

I'd been toying with the idea of running a local 10k race if the weather was OK and in the end I decided to just do it anyway to support the organisers who produce a lot of good races locally. I had been very restrained last night and only had a glass and a bit of red wine just in case I decided to run it and the rain had stopped as I left home. That didn't last long!

As I parked up in Lamberhurst the heavens opened and didn't stop at all. In fact it just got worse and worse and the wind got up too for good measure. The route had to be changed due to flooding and it was exceedingly UPdulating which I don't mind but it wasn't going to be the day for a new personal best time.

I was happy to manage to maintain sub 9 minute milling on all the downhill sections, there weren't any flat bits, and finished in 59:38 which I think is my slowest time ever for a 10k. My Garmin measured it as 6.38 miles which was as close as they could get to 10k given the changes to the course. The best thing was that my asthma didn't bother me at all today.




A massive thank you to all the lovely marshalls who stood around in the cold and wet just so we runners could get another medal. It was a great way to start the new year.


No comments: