Thursday, April 10, 2014

A happy hat



My trusty marathon cap was looking rather tried and faded; it used to be a lovely vibrant purple!

It's done almost all my marathons with me, through snow, sleet, torrential rain, & baking sun so has become a trusty old friend and I didn't want to get rid of it. So the only thing to do was to smarten it up a bit with some bright granny squares.

I used different colours of 4ply yarn and just joined them into a strip (using the join-as-you-go method) and then sewed them in place. It didn't matter that I obscured 'redhead' as I have that on my vest, front and back.

Simple!






I felt the back needed a little something too. Something that would make runners coming past me smile.

A simple granny heart fitted the bill perfectly. This has to be one of the easiest heart patterns and is one I've used since I was a small child (I love hearts!!!!) and came from a really old book of crochet I had which has long since disappeared.



I had to nip into London today to collect my race number and visit the press office and so I wore my ARUK tee shirt and cap and lots of people smiled and remarked on the crochet. Good, I wanted it to be a happy cap and that's exactly what it is now.



No comments: